4.05.2011

At last: Prom Dress Update No. 1

AT LAST.

I finally started my prom dress over the break this week. I have no idea when I'll have time to work on it, but it has begun and I have to will must finish it. So far it's actually gone really well. So here's the gist of everything I've accomplished thus far:

First of all, I'm using everything from Joann Fabrics, because I'm trying to win $50 grand for college. University of Illinois ain't cheap. And I sew nice stuff. So I'm trying it. If not, hey, I made my prom dress anyway.

First off-- the dress is forest green. Like--deep green. It shows up really poorly on my camera right now, in the light, in the sun, with or without flash, but it's really truly forest green. I wanted emerald but there was no chiffon to my liking in that shade, so I went with the next best option.

Here's a progression of how far I got last weekend:
[NOTE: My dress form is probably the most awful dress form possible, it doesn't even stand straight, but I'd never be able to have done this without it]

 Base layer of bodice, I'm so proud of the sweetheart neckline I drafted!

Beginning to drape the bodice: Now, I've never draped anything in my life. And I'll tell you something--it's HARD. It's like trying to capture the essence of gravity in a fabric. Which ironically takes a heck of a lot of pins to even attempt recreating. But after a few hours I got the hang of it. I wasn't really trying to match up gathers at the seams, I just sort of went with my gut. I'm really proud of how it turned out (keep scrolling to see it!).

Still draping (*sigh*)

Front bodice pre-sewing with the pins everywhere.

Front bodice completely sewn. I'm pretty awesome.

Front and back are now sewn!

 A haggard display of the back. My shape is different than the form so I have to lump it all together funny on the form. It's actually really pretty. Kind of?

So now I start the skirt. It'll be a monster--nearly 7 yards of fabric, maybe more. It's got like a 140 inch circumference. Yeah. It's a big momma. It's a mother dress. But I want to feel like a princess. This may be my last chance to sew for a very long time, and I want it to look perfect.

I'll update more as soon as it happens, but I'll be in Washington DC so it won't be happening this weekend...All in good time.

May the force be with me.

No comments :

Post a Comment

What do you think?
I'd love to hear from you!